Vegan Shepherds Pie
- 4 Big Carrots Sliced
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Cups of Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1 Can of Lentils
- ¾ Cup Chopped Celery
- 8-10 Small to Medium Sized Potatoes
- ¼ Cup of Unflavoured Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 heaping tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp of Flour
- ½ Cup of Mushroom Broth
- ½ Cup of Vegetable Broth
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp of Onion Powder ( or more to taste )
- 1 tbsp of Chili Powder ( or more to taste )
- Combine 2 heaping tablespoons of tomato paste and 1 cup of broth. Add 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1 tablespoon of chili powder and then whisk the mixture together. Leave off to the side and separate until later.
- Add carrots, onion, and mushroom to a large sauce pan and cook on medium for about 15 minutes ( or until carrots are softer ) with a tbsp of water ( to steam ).
- Add the liquid mixture from step 1, celery, garlic, and flour to the sauce pan, and cook on low for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove pot from stove and add lentils, peas, corn, and stir everything together.
- Peel and chop up 8-10 potatoes.
- Boil until fully cooked and ready to be mashed.
- Drain potatoes, and then add ¼ cup of almond milk and mash them ( optional: add garlic ).
- First add the filling layer into a large baking dish.
- Next layer the mashed potatoes over top.
- Sprinkle season salt on top of the potatoes.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes ( or until potatoes are a light golden brown on top )