Healthy Stuffed Sweet Potato
Thanksgiving is a fun time to visit with friends and family, and to indulge in some great food. It’s hard to stay on your strict diet come this time of year, but if you are looking to bring something to your Thanksgiving dinner that is a bit more on the healthy side, but is still delicious, do I ever have a recipe for you! Sweet potatoes are a great go-to side dish for any meal. This recipe can be either used as a side dish on Thanksgiving, or even a stand-alone meal if you are running short on time during your work week and need a quick bite to eat. Here is the recipe for healthier stuffed sweet potatoes:
- 4-6 medium sized sweet potatoes ( rinsed )
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 4-6 tsp of brown sugar ( or more for taste )
- 1 tsp of butter per sweet potato
- Honey for drizzling
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F ( 204 C ). Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes with a knife so that steam can escape while they’re baking.
- Once the oven is preheated, place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 45 minutes or until soft to touch. ( time will depend on the size of the potato )
- While you’re waiting on the sweet potatoes, add 1 1/4 cups of water and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- Remove quinoa and set aside, slightly covered.
- Once the sweet potatoes are ready, remove them from the oven and split them open to allow room for the toppings. Fill each potato with 1 tsp of butter and 1 tsp of brown sugar ( or more if you’d like ) and then place them back into the oven for 2 minutes or so.
- Remove the sweet potatoes again and fill them with 1/4 or 1/2 cups of prepared quinoa
- Sprinkle more brown sugar on top, and add pecans.
- Drizzle some honey overtop each sweet potato and serve!
You can add any toppings you feel would go well with this. I sometimes like to mix it up completely and add shredded cheese, bacon or even a bit of hot sauce, to get that hot and sweet flavoring, but it’s entirely up to you. The best part about cooking food is that you can change or add whatever ingredients you’d like to make the meal fit your style. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Kyle | Contributor